Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Duchess of Sussex awarded £450,000 in costs after court privacy win

MEGHAN, Britain's Duchess of Sussex, was awarded £450,000 on Tuesday (2) as a provisional payment towards her legal costs after she won a privacy claim against the Mail on Sunday which had printed extracts of a letter she wrote to her father.

Last month, a judge at London's High Court ruled the tabloid had breached her privacy and infringed her copyright by publishing parts of the five-page letter she wrote to her father, Thomas Markle, who she fell out with on the eve of her wedding to Queen Elizabeth's grandson, Prince Harry.


Judge Mark Warby ruled in her favour without holding a trial, saying the articles were a clear breach of privacy after the paper argued the duchess had intended the letter's contents to become public and it formed part of a media strategy.

At a hearing on Tuesday, Warby refused the paper permission to appeal that decision, saying he saw "no real prospect" that the Court of Appeal would reach a different conclusion. However, the paper is able to apply directly to the court.

The court was told Meghan's legal team was seeking more than 1.5 million pounds in legal fees, with half the amount to be paid within 14 days, a sum the paper described as "disproportionate".

Warby agreed to make an interim costs order of 450,000 pounds, saying the final sum "may well be considerably more than that" after other outstanding issues were resolved at later hearings.

Meghan's legal team also demanded the paper hands over any copies it has of the letter, and called for the judge to order the paper to publish a statement on its front page stating she had won her case, with a notice also placed on the MailOnline's home page for "not less than 6 months" to act as a deterrent.

Warby said he would not make an order for the delivery or destruction of any copies of the letter yet.

Her lawyer Ian Mill told the hearing that they were not seeking to punish the paper, and would accept nominal damages based on the profits the Mail made from its articles, saying this was a "proportionate" way forward.

In its written submissions, the paper's lawyers wrote: "No purpose would be served by a hearing to determine the precise amount, which by definition is not relevant. It is suggested that 1 pound, 2 pounds or 5 pounds would do."

Meghan, 39, and husband Harry, 36, have regularly appeared on the front pages of Britain's newspapers in the last month, having announced they were expecting their second child, followed by news of their final split with the royal family following their decision to move to California last year.

On Sunday (7), a highly anticipated in-depth interview they have given to U.S. chat show queen Oprah Winfrey will be aired.

More For You

Virat Kohli in a Turkish drama? Cricketer’s lookalike stuns fans and goes viral!

Fans were left stunned after spotting a Virat Kohli lookalike in the hit Turkish drama Diriliş: Ertuğrul

Getty Images/ Pinterest

Virat Kohli in a Turkish drama? Cricketer’s lookalike stuns fans and goes viral!

Cricket fans were left amused and confused after spotting a familiar face in the popular Turkish drama Diriliş: Ertuğrul. A viral Reddit post showed Turkish actor Cavit Çetin Güner, who plays Doğan Bey in the series, bearing a striking resemblance to Indian cricket icon Virat Kohli. The uncanny similarities set social media abuzz, with fans playfully joking about Kohli making his television debut in a historical epic.

The conversation began when a Reddit user shared a screenshot of Cavit Çetin Güner from the show, humorously captioning it, “Anushka Sharma’s husband TV show debut.” This tongue-in-cheek reference to Bollywood actress Anushka Sharma, Kohli’s wife, sparked a flood of reactions. Some fans admitted they were initially convinced that the cricketer had secretly ventured into acting, while others were stunned at the near-identical features between the two men.

Keep ReadingShow less
UK houses

The government says the plan will accelerate housing development, create jobs, and contribute to economic growth.

Getty Images

Taskforce to develop thousands of homes on public land

THE GOVERNMENT has launched a taskforce to unlock thousands of homes on surplus public land, with defence sites leading a new approach to development.

The initiative aims to remove barriers to housing projects and support the target of delivering 1.5 million homes by the next parliament.

Keep ReadingShow less
These words from Jaya Bachchan to Rekha ended her affair with Amitabh Bachchan

Bollywood’s most talked-about love triangle – The untold truth behind Amitabh Bachchan, Rekha, and Jaya Bachchan

Getty Images

These words from Jaya Bachchan to Rekha ended her affair with Amitabh Bachchan

"Amitabh is mine, was mine, and will always be mine”: Jaya Bachchan’s shocking words that ended Amitabh Bachchan’s alleged affair with Rekha!

The untold truth behind Bollywood’s most controversial love triangle and why Amitabh Bachchan and Rekha never worked together again.

Keep ReadingShow less
Girl denies targeting Bhim Kohli before fatal park attack
Bhim Kohli. (Photo: Facebook)

Girl denies targeting Bhim Kohli before fatal park attack

A 13-year-old girl, who filmed part of a fatal attack on an elderly man, has denied that she used a photograph of the victim to “target” him before the assault.

The girl is currently on trial for the manslaughter of Bhim Kohli, an 80-year-old who was attacked in Franklin Park, Braunstone Town, Leicestershire, on 1 September last year.

Keep ReadingShow less
King’s College plants cherry tree to honour student killed in accident

Aalia Mahomed

King’s College plants cherry tree to honour student killed in accident

A VIGIL was held on Tuesday (25) at King’s College London to honour the memory of Aalia Mahomed, a 20-year-old student killed in a van collision near the Strand.

Friends, classmates, and staff gathered at the Strand Quad in a solemn ceremony, remembering Mahomed’s life and offering their support to her family.

Keep ReadingShow less