Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

UK media suspends Khalsa TV licence over Khalistani propaganda

UK media suspends Khalsa TV licence over Khalistani propaganda

THE UK'S media watchdog has suspended the licence of Khalsa Television Limited to broadcast in the country after an investigation found its KTV channel breached broadcasting rules with Khalistani propaganda.

The Office of Communications (Ofcom) announced its decision last week after serving a suspension notice to the company over a ‘prime time' programme, broadcast on KTV on December 30 last year.

It said the programme breached the Broadcasting Code with content likely to “encourage or incite the commission of a crime or lead to disorder”.

The communications regulator said the 95-minute live discussion programme included material likely to “incite violence”.

The presenter of the programme made a number of statements throughout the programme which, taken together, promoted violent action, including murder, as an acceptable and necessary form of action to further the Khalistani cause. This was a serious breach of our rules on incitement of crime and disorder,” Ofcom said in a statement.

Given the serious nature of this breach, and for the reasons set out in our suspension notice, we are today suspending Khalsa Television Limited's licence to broadcast in the UK with immediate effect,” said the statement issued on Thursday (31).

Khalsa Television Limited now has 21 days in which to make representations to Ofcom. Following this process, Ofcom will decide whether to revoke Khalsa Television Limited's licence.

KTV is a television channel broadcasting largely to the Sikh community in the UK under a licence held by Khalsa Television Limited. In February, the channel received Ofcom's "preliminary view" notice and in representations objected to its translation and analysis of the programme.

Ofcom said this failed to provide “any substantive details of the objection” and offered it another chance to respond last month.

In its representations, the KTV reiterated that the programme in question did not contain an incitement or call to violent action and provided an example of what it said was Ofcom's “misunderstanding” of the words used by the presenter.

Given the urgency and seriousness of the investigation and the time that the licensee (KTV) had already been offered to provide its full written representations, Ofcom did not consider it appropriate to delay matters further. Ofcom noted that the licensee would have a further opportunity to make written and oral representations should we decide to suspend its licence,” the suspension notice read.

During the suspension period, the licensee, KTV Ltd, must not broadcast the KTV service... Failure to comply with this suspension notice by broadcasting the KTV service during the suspension period would amount to a criminal offence, which is punishable by an unlimited fine,” it noted.

Ofcom has previously also taken similar action against the channel.

In February last year, it imposed a fine of £50,000 on the channel for broadcasting a music video and a discussion programme, deemed an indirect call for British Sikhs to commit violence and also contained a terror reference.

On its website, KTV describes itself as an “exciting channel”, airing a range of cultural, educational and entertaining programmes for audiences of all ages. It says it prides itself in being “completely independent, impartial and honest”.

(PTI)

More For You

Police Recover £1M Stolen Jewellery in Hounslow, Owners Sought

The jewellery was largely taken from London’s South Asian community in Hounslow between 2023 and 2024. (Photo: Met Police)

Stolen jewellery worth £1m recovered in Hounslow, police seek owners

POLICE are seeking to reunite stolen jewellery worth over £1 million with its rightful owners after recovering the items during a proactive operation across London and the home counties.

The recovered collection includes identifiable pieces such as a World War One officer’s Rolex watch, a gold locket containing old pictures, an engraved gold ring, and an engraved gold pocket watch from Harlow Bros Ltd.

Keep ReadingShow less
british-muslims

The initiative aims to track incidents, raise awareness of hate crime, and provide better victim support.

iStock)

Government announces fund to combat anti-Muslim hate

THE UK government has announced a new fund to monitor anti-Muslim hate and support victims, with applications opening on 7 April.

The initiative aims to track incidents, raise awareness of hate crime, and provide better victim support.

Keep ReadingShow less
Probe launched over racist broadcast at Kent asylum centre

FILE PHOTO: Entrance of Manston short-term holding centre for migrants, near Ramsgate in southeast England. (Photo by BEN STANSALL/AFP via Getty Images)

Probe launched over racist broadcast at Kent asylum centre

AUTHORITIES have launched an investigation following reports that a racist message was broadcast over portable radios at an asylum processing centre in Kent.

The incident occurred at the Manston site, where small boat arrivals are processed by the Home Office and its contractor, Mitie, reported The Guardian.

Keep ReadingShow less
Protest against dog crackdown ahead of Modi's Sri Lanka visit

Sri Lankan animal rights activists take part in a demonstration in Colombo on April 3, 2025, to protest the round-up of stray dogs a day ahead of a visit by Narendra Modi. (Photo by ISHARA S. KODIKARA/AFP via Getty Images)

Protest against dog crackdown ahead of Modi's Sri Lanka visit

SRI LANKAN animal rights activists marched on Thursday (3) to protest the round-up of stray dogs a day ahead of a visit by Indian prime minister Narendra Modi.

Authorities in Colombo and the Buddhist pilgrim city of Anuradhapura have reportedly deployed dog catchers to impound hounds ahead of Modi's visit, which begins on Friday (4).

Keep ReadingShow less
modi-trump-getty

Donald Trump and Narendra Modi hold a joint press conference in the East Room at the White House on February 13, 2025 in Washington, DC. (Photo: Getty Images)

Getty Images

Explained: Impact of US tariffs on Indian exports

The United States has announced a 27 per cent reciprocal tariff on Indian goods entering the American market.

Industry experts have said these duties will pose challenges for Indian exports, though India's position remains more favourable than some of its competitors.

Keep ReadingShow less