Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

UK to reflect on apology for Jallianwala Bagh massacre

BRITAIN is "reflecting" on demands for a formal apology for the Jallianwala Bagh massacre in April 1919, a minister told the House of Lords during a debate to mark the centenary of the incident.

Baroness Annabel Goldie also confirmed plans to mark 100 years since the tragedy "in the most appropriate and respectful way".


At a debate titled 'Amritsar Massacre: Centenary' in the Lords last (19) evening, the peer said: "The government at the time, as we know, roundly condemned the atrocity, but it is the case that no subsequent government have apologised.

"I understand that the reason is that governments have considered that history cannot be rewritten and it is important that we do not get trapped by the past," she said.

However, the baroness made specific reference to oral evidence given by British foreign secretary Jeremy Hunt to the Parliament's Foreign Affairs Committee in October last year in reference to the centenary being an appropriate time for a formal apology.

She said: "The foreign secretary responded by saying: 'That is a very profound thought; let me reflect on that, but I can understand why that could be a potentially very significant gesture'.

"The Foreign Secretary is currently doing that - reflecting on the situation - and I can say that the views expressed in this debate are certainly noted and will be conveyed back to the department."

Her response came at the end of interventions by a series of peers during the debate, called by Indian-origin peers, among them Lord Meghnad Desai, who believe the April 2019 centenary was the right time to "make amends" and offer a formal apology for the atrocities to bring “closure”.

Lord Desai, during his intervention, focussed on how the House of Lords at the time had failed to condemn General Dyer's actions in Amritsar.

"The motion, that this House deplores the conduct of the case of General Dyer as unjust to that officer, and as establishing a precedent dangerous to the preservation of order in face of rebellion, which was passed in the end," Lord Desai, who is a member of the Jallianwala Bagh Centenary Commemoration Committee, recalled.

"The view was taken that somehow injustice had been done to a brave officer who was putting down a rebellion," he noted.

Cobra Beer founder Lord Bilimoria reiterated calls for a formal government apology for the "murder" and Amritsar-born businesswoman, Baroness Sandy Verma, referenced her own personal connect with the city during the debate.

"This act of complete disregard - opening fire on innocent people who had no escape routes or an opportunity to voice their protests - is truly a black cloud in British history," she said.

Historical records note that Dyer had fired on a Baisakhi gathering on April 13, 1919, without warning and continued to fire for 10 minutes even as they were trying to escape, while he blocked the main exit with his soldiers and armoured vehicles.

The newly-formed Jallianwala Bagh Centenary Commemoration Committee, made up of several Indians and non-resident Indians (NRIs), is working on plans to mark the centenary of the tragic event.

(PTI)

More For You

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions
Anura Kumara Dissanayake

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions

THE Sri Lanka government on Wednesday (2) formed a committee to recommend measures regarding the UK's decision to impose sanctions on three former military commanders who led the campaign that crushed the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) in 2009.

Health minister Nalinda Jayatissa told reporters that foreign minister Vijitha Herath, justice minister Harshana Nanayakkara and deputy minister of defence Aruna Jayasekara would comprise the committee that would consult experts for the purpose.

Keep ReadingShow less
Gujarat-blast-ANI

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed. (Photo: ANI)

ANI

Death toll rises to 21 in Gujarat firework factory explosion

AN EXPLOSION at an illegal firecracker factory in Gujarat's Deesa town killed 21 people and injured several others on Tuesday, officials said.

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed.

Keep ReadingShow less
Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

Child benefit, normally paid every four weeks directly into bank accounts, has undergone significant changes in recent months (Photo: Getty Images)

Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

MILLIONS of British families are set to receive a financial boost as child benefit payments increase from April 7, according to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

From next week, parents will receive £26.05 per week for the eldest or only child, amounting to £1,354.60 annually - up from the current rate of £25.60. For each additional child, payments will rise to £17.25 weekly, totalling £897 per year - an increase from the present £16.95 rate. This represents a 1.7 per cent increase across all payment categories.

Keep ReadingShow less
Anant Ambani Walks 140 Km in Spiritual Tribute on 30th Birthday

Anant’s padyatra is a reflection of the larger cultural fabric of India

Getty

Anant Ambani embarks on a 140-kilometer spiritual journey on foot to celebrate 30th birthday

Anant Ambani, a director of Reliance Industries Limited and a prominent figure in Indian industry, has chosen a unique and spiritual way to mark his 30th birthday. As part of his celebrations, he is currently undertaking a padyatra—a traditional pilgrimage on foot—from Jamnagar to Dwarka, covering a distance of approximately 140 kilometres. The journey reflects his devotion to Lord Dwarkadhish, the presiding deity of the Dwarkadhish Temple in the city of Dwarka.

Anant began his journey from his family’s residence in Moti Khavdi, Jamnagar, and has been progressing steadily for the past five days. Walking an estimated 10-12 kilometres each night, he travels under the protection of Z+ security and local police, ensuring his safety during this significant journey. The padyatra is expected to take between seven to nine days in total, with plans to conclude at the Dwarkadhish Temple in time for his birthday on April 10.

Keep ReadingShow less
New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

Government urged experts to come forward to help draw up a new five-year TB action plan. (Photo: Getty Images)

New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

BRITAIN on Wednesday (2) urged health experts and sufferers of tuberculosis (TB) to come forward to help draw up a new five-year action plan as it deals with record rises in the disease.

In 2023, England recorded its largest annual increase (11 per cent) in cases since enhanced surveillance began in 2000.

Keep ReadingShow less