Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

UK vows to crackdown on terrorist recruiters on Westminster Bridge attack anniversary

The UK government on Thursday (23) vowed to crackdown on recruiters of terrorism, saying all forms of terror need to be stamped out as Britain marked the first anniversary of an ISIS-inspired terror attack on Westminster Bridge, near Parliament.

Last year on March 22, a 52-year-old UK-born Muslim convert Khalid Masood drove a car into pedestrians on the Bridge, over the River Thames in the heart of the London, before fatally stabbing a police officer on guard at New Palace Yard gates of the Palace of Westminster.


Four people were killed and nearly 50 injured in the rampage. Masood was shot dead by armed police at the scene. It was followed by two other terror attacks in the British capital, at London Bridge and Finsbury Park mosque in June 2017, taking the death toll to 14 in the attacks.

UK home secretary Amber Rudd, who attended a special service in memory of the five victims of the attack last year at the St Mary Undercroft Chapel in Parliament, said that all forms of terror needed to be stamped out.

"Islamists and far-right terrorists share one thing in common - they are united through their adherence to hate. We need to respond by stamping out those recruiters in the first place,"she said.

MPs observed a minute of silence in the House of Commons at midday (local time), as the service of commemoration took place in Westminster Hall in the Palace of Westminster complex.

Prime minister Theresa May laid a wreath of white lilies and roses at Parliament Square, accompanied by a signed note reading: 'In memory of those who were lost and in defiance of those who would seek to silence our democracy.'

Mayor of London Sadiq Khan marked the anniversary with the launch of a 'London United' campaign, which will involve #LondonUnited projected on locations of last year's terrorist attacks on the city as an 'act of solidarity'.

"Londoners will never forget the horrific terror attacks on our city in 2017. We will never forget the bravery of our emergency services and first responders who ran towards danger while urging the rest of us to run to safety," he said.

The Mayor's office has also organised a digital book of condolence that the public can send messages of solidarity to. The Book of Hope will become part of a 3D installation in City Hall that will be open to the public until June 19, the anniversary of the Finsbury Park attack.

Meanwhile, colleagues and family members paid tribute to the victims of the Westminster attack. A colleague of Police Constable Keith Palmer, the officer who was stabbed when he confronted Masood, said he was a "loyal friend", "always happy" and dedicated to his job, his daughter and his wife.

"I do recall the silence. It was very eerie. Not a single movement of traffic, not a horn, not anybody speaking, no shouts, nothing whatsoever... I was then left there with a couple of the original policeman, who by this time were very, very upset because it was their colleague," recalled defence minister Tobias Ellwood, who gave mouth-to-mouth to Palmer after the stabbing in an attempt to save his life.

It is believed the barriers outside the Parliament building saved around 25 to 30 lives on the day of the attack, as they forced Masood's car off the pavement and onto the road. At the end of the barriers he cut back into the pavement and crashed in into the side of Parliament building before stepping out with a knife.

More For You

british-muslims-iStock

The study noted that this identification was not due to any doctrinal obligation but was influenced by the perception that many Muslims do not feel fully accepted as British. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Majority of British Muslims identify by faith first, study finds

A STUDY by the Institute for the Impact of Faith in Life (IIFL) has found that most British Muslims identify primarily with their religion rather than their nationality.

The research, based on a survey of 815 British Muslim adults by Whitestone Insight, revealed that 71 per cent of respondents identified as Muslim first, while 27 per cent identified as British, English, or Scottish first.

Keep ReadingShow less
Car Tax Changes: EV Owners Now Required to Pay for the First Time

Owners of electric vehicles registered on or after 1 April 2025 will pay £10 for the first year, followed by the standard VED rate of £195 from the second year. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Car tax changes take effect: EV owners to pay for first time

FROM today, 1 April 2025, electric cars, vans, and motorcycles in the UK will be subject to Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) for the first time.

The change, introduced in the 2022 Autumn Statement by former Conservative Chancellor Jeremy Hunt, aims to make motoring taxation fairer.

Keep ReadingShow less
scotland-minimum-wages-iStock

Full-time workers on the National Living Wage will receive an annual pay increase of £1,400 in real terms. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Wage increase takes effect for thousands of workers in Scotland

HUNDREDS of thousands of workers in Scotland will see a pay increase as new National Living Wage and National Minimum Wage rates take effect from Tuesday.

The changes will benefit approximately 220,000 people, according to STV News.

Keep ReadingShow less
uk-energy-bill-iStock

Water bills, energy prices, and council tax are rising, while the minimum wage has also increased (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

April bill increases put financial strain on single parents

A RANGE of essential household bills are increasing from April, with Citizens Advice warning that single parents will be among the hardest hit.

Water bills, energy prices, and council tax are rising, while the minimum wage has also increased, BBC reported.

Keep ReadingShow less
Netflix drama Adolescence to be screened in UK schools
Stephen Graham and Owen Cooper in 'Adolescence'
Netflix

Netflix drama Adolescence to be screened in UK schools

THE NETFLIX drama Adolescence will be shown in UK secondary schools as part of efforts to address harmful online influences on young boys, officials announced on Monday.

The show has sparked debate over the impact of toxic and misogynistic content on the internet. Prime minister Keir Starmer met the show's creators, charities, and young people at Downing Street, calling the initiative an important step in starting discussions about the content teenagers are exposed to online.

Keep ReadingShow less