Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

UK's Johnson says sorry, orders probe into aides' alleged lockdown party

UK's Johnson says sorry, orders probe into aides' alleged lockdown party

British prime minister Boris Johnson apologised and announced an internal probe on Wednesday (8) after a video emerged of senior aides joking about a Christmas party at Downing Street last year when social events were banned under Covid-19 rules.

The leaked footage appears to contradict more than a week of denials by Johnson and his ministers that a party took place, following newspaper reports dozens of staff had attended an evening-long gathering on December 18, 2020.


The embattled leader, who faced calls for his resignation from some opposition politicians during a raucous parliamentary question session, vowed "disciplinary action" would be taken if the investigation found rules had been broken.

"I understand and share the anger up and down the country at seeing No 10 staff seeming to make light of lockdown measures," he said.

"I apologise unreservedly for the offence that it has caused... and I apologise for the impression that it gives."

Johnson added he had been "repeatedly assured" that there was no party inside his Number 10 Downing Street office and that no rules were broken.

But Labour party leader Keir Starmer said his account strained credibility.

"They knew there was a party, they knew it was against the rules, they knew they couldn't admit it, and they thought it was funny," he told MPs.

"Does the Prime Minister think he has the moral authority to lead and to ask the British people to stick to the rules?" he asked, before other lawmakers assailed Johnson over the scandal.

The newly-announced probe will be led by the country's most senior civil servant, Cabinet Secretary Simon Case, with Downing Street unclear on when he would report back.

"He has been asked to establish the facts on any events on (December) 18, and that's what he will start work on," Johnson's spokesman told reporters.

"It is obviously rightly for them to dictate the timescale... but obviously we want it to be as soon as possible."

- 'Cheese and wine' -

The alleged party is the latest instance of apparent government hypocrisy over restrictions after several previous scandals, including health secretary Matt Hancock resigning in June for breaking coronavirus curbs during an affair with an aide.

The incendiary footage shows Johnson's then-press secretary Allegra Stratton fielding questions from advisor Ed Oldfied and other staff during a rehearsal press conference on December 22 with no media present.

The group laughs and trade jokes as they discuss a "fictional party" four days earlier, which reportedly involved food, drink, games and "secret Santa" gift-giving.

"This fictional party was a business meeting and it was not socially distanced," she laughs over joking exchanges about "cheese and wine" and whether the prime minister would "condone" such an event.

At that time, London was under strict restrictions and indoor social gatherings of two or more people were banned, while office parties were specifically outlawed.

The video, which was leaked to broadcaster ITV News late Tuesday, prompted an immediate outcry -- and health secretary Sajid Javid to cancel a series of broadcast interviews Wednesday morning.

GettyImages 1357677957 scaled Sajid Javid (Photo by Rob Pinney/Getty Images)

It has led main news bulletins, drawn millions of views online and sparked condemnation from across the political spectrum.

"The prime minister is responsible for losing the trust of the people. He can no longer lead on the most pressing issue facing these islands," leader of the Scottish National Party Ian Blackford said.

- 'Upsetting and shameful' -

Conservative lawmakers have also been among those demanding answers.

"This isn't a laughing matter," Tory MP Roger Gale told the BBC after he watched the footage with "total incredulity".

The scandal has echoes of an infamous incident earlier in the pandemic involving Johnson's then-chief aide Dominic Cummings, who drove hundreds of kilometres to stay away from his London home during a lockdown.

It triggered outrage over perceived double standards by the government, and is widely seen as leading to a drop in compliance with restrictions in its aftermath.

With the fast spread of the Omicron variant in Britain, some Conservative lawmakers said the latest scandal would make reintroducing curbs "much more difficult".

"The events of the last 24 hours make it probably almost impossible now," influential backbench MP Charles Walker told Times Radio.

Meanwhile Covid-19 Bereaved Families for Justice said it showcased "the behaviour of people who think they're above us".

"There are simply no words to describe how upsetting and shameful it is to then hear Boris Johnson's team laughing about breaking the rules they had made," it said in a statement.

More For You

Donald Trump

Trump announced a series of tariff increases targeting various nations, including key US allies such as the UK and the European Union.

Getty Images

Trump’s tariffs hit global markets, Starmer warns of 'economic impact'

The UK and other global economies reacted on Thursday to US president Donald Trump's newly imposed tariffs, with prime minister Keir Starmer warning of an “economic impact” from the 10 per cent levy on British exports.

Trump announced a series of tariff increases targeting various nations, including key US allies such as the UK and the European Union.

Keep ReadingShow less
India told to prepare for deadly rise in temperatures

The country can expect more heatwave days this year

India told to prepare for deadly rise in temperatures

INDIA can expect hotter-thanusual temperatures this summer with more heatwave days taking a toll on lives and livelihoods, the weather office warned.

The country is no stranger to scorching summers, but years of scientific research has found climate change is causing heatwaves to become longer, more frequent and more intense.

Keep ReadingShow less
Tower Hamlets secures funding to save domestic abuse support jobs

The planned strike action was called off after the external funding was secured

Tower Hamlets secures funding to save domestic abuse support jobs

Ruby Gregory

REDUNDANCY proposals which would have seen job cuts made to a ‘crucial’ domestic abuse support service in Tower Hamlets have been called off.

Solace Women’s Aid, which planned to make cuts, confirmed last Friday (28) the redundancies were no longer going ahead, following a boost in external funding which followed a threat of strike action.

Keep ReadingShow less
Report reveals Birmingham’s doctors face racism and bullying
Absences have risen at the Queen Elizabeth and Heartlands Hospitals in Birmingham, as well as Good Hope in Sutton and Solihull Hospital

Report reveals Birmingham’s doctors face racism and bullying

Gurdip Thandi

YOUNG doctors in Birmingham hospitals face a ‘shocking’ number of incidents of bullying, racism and sexism from patients and other staff.

The Medical Academy Annual Report was presented to a University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust board meeting, which revealed the data.

Keep ReadingShow less
Former police officer arrested in Rotherham investigation

Investigators believe the earlier offences happened between 1995 and 2002 (Photo for representation: iStock)

Former police officer arrested in Rotherham investigation

A FORMER police officer has been arrested in connection with the ongoing investigation into child sexual abuse in Rotherham, authorities revealed on Tuesday (1).

The former constable, who is in his 50s, was taken into custody on Monday (31). He is suspected of raping a teenage girl in the South Yorkshire town in 2004, according to officials.

Keep ReadingShow less