Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

UK’s Top Firms 'Wholly Inadequate' In Tackling Slavery: Survey

British companies' efforts to tackle modern slavery remain "wholly inadequate" three years after the country introduced some of the world's toughest legislation on the issue, a study published on Monday (20) found.

Britain's 2015 Modern Slavery Act requires businesses whose turnover exceeds $48 million to produce an annual statement outlining actions they have taken to combat slavery in their supply chains.


The study by the Business and Human Rights Resource Centre (BHRRC), a monitoring group, found that while most of the FTSE 100 largest companies listed on the London Stock Exchange complied, their statements were vague and lacked detail.

"The vast majority of companies' reported efforts are wholly inadequate," its executive director Phil Bloomer said in a statement.

Retailer Marks & Spencer performed best of the FTSE 100 firms, scoring 78 out of 100 points in the annual evaluation of the firms' statements.

Drinks company Diageo and supermarket chain Morrison ranked second and third, with 62 points each, but almost three out of four companies scored fewer than 40 points.

Big brands are facing growing pressure from regulators and consumers to ensure their global operations are not tainted by modern-day slavery, which campaigners estimate affects almost 40 million people worldwide.

"Big business in the UK has had three years to get to grips (with) the government's anti-slavery rules, but there has been little genuine effort to end exploitation," said Nick Grono, chief executive of the Freedom Fund, an anti-slavery group.

Gambling operator GVC Holdings, plumbing products distributor Ferguson and online real estate portal Rightmove ranked lowest.

Rightmove said it would publish a more detailed report next year, while GVC said the issue of modern slavery was of the utmost importance and it would make its statement more detailed and transparent.

Ferguson said the report was not based on its most recent statement and that it was firmly committed to eradicating any form of modern slavery.

Britain's Home Office (interior ministry) said it had written to the heads of 17,000 of the about 19,000 businesses covered by the law telling them to comply or risk being named and shamed.

Just over half have issued statements to date, according to Transparency in the Supply Chain (TISC), a public database.

TISC's chief executive Jaya Chakrabarti said companies' reports did not always give the full picture as some might give vague statements for legal and commercial reasons.

Asking firms to show evidence of what they were doing to clean up their supply chains while committing to only publish headline data could yield better results, she told the Thomson Reuters Foundation.

Reuters

More For You

single-use vapes-iStock

Analysis by Material Focus estimates that 8.2 million vapes are discarded or littered each week in the UK—equivalent to 13 every second. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Shops told to clear single-use vapes before ban starts on June 1

SHOPS across the UK have until 1 June 2025 to sell off remaining stocks of single-use vapes before a nationwide ban comes into force.

The legislation, confirmed last year, follows a government consultation that showed strong support for restricting their sale and supply.

Keep ReadingShow less
Primark-London-Getty

During his 15-year tenure, Marchant expanded Primark’s store network to more than 450 locations across 17 countries in Europe and the United States. (Photo: Reuters)

Primark chief Paul Marchant steps down after misconduct probe

PAUL MARCHANT, the head of fashion retailer Primark, has resigned with immediate effect after admitting to an "error of judgment" in his behaviour towards a woman in a social setting.

Associated British Foods (AB Foods), Primark's parent company, announced his resignation on Monday.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

JAGUAR’S ambition to seduce younger, richer drivers was on full display in Paris with a presentation of its newest prototype, the Type 00, which promises all-electric luxury... at a steep price.

The low-slung, muscular-looking concept car presented to European reporters last Friday (21) prefigures a production model expected mid-2026 at a base cost of €150,000 (£123,472.8).

Keep ReadingShow less
Starmer-Trump-Getty

Trump has suggested the possibility of a 'great' trade deal that could help the UK mitigate the impact of tariffs he has pledged to introduce. (Photo: Getty Images)

Starmer, Trump talk trade deal progress in 'productive' discussion

KEIR STARMER and Donald Trump spoke on Sunday about ongoing UK-US trade negotiations, with Downing Street describing the talks as "productive."

Since leaving the European Union, the UK has been working to secure a trade agreement with the United States. Successive British governments have pursued a deal, but it has remained elusive.

Keep ReadingShow less
modi-trump-getty
Trump shakes hands with Modi during a joint press conference at Hyderabad House in New Delhi on February 25, 2020. (Photo: Getty Images)

India-US trade talks end with no sign of tariff relief

INDIA and the United States have agreed to move forward on finalising a part of their bilateral trade deal this year, but there was no indication of any tariff relief for India.

Trade discussions took place in New Delhi ahead of the implementation of US president Donald Trump's new trade tariff regime, which includes import levies on India, set to take effect from 2 April.

Keep ReadingShow less