Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

US Allows India and Seven Others To Import Iranian Crude Oil Temporarily

The United States snapped sanctions back in place on Monday (5) to choke off Iran's crude oil and shipping industry, while temporarily allowing top customers such as China and India to keep buying crude from the Islamic Republic.

Having abandoned the 2015 Iran nuclear deal, US president Donald Trump is trying to cripple Iran's crude oil-dependent economy and force Tehran to quash not only its nuclear ambitions and its ballistic missile program but its support for militant proxies in Syria, Yemen, Lebanon, and other parts of the Middle East.


Washington has pledged to completely stop purchases of crude oil from Iran eventually, but for now, it said eight countries - China, India, South Korea, Japan, Italy, Greece, Taiwan, and Turkey can continue imports for now without penalty. Crude exports contribute one-third of Iran's government revenues.

"More than 20 importing nations have zeroed out their imports of crude oil already, taking more than 1 million barrels crude per day off the market," US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo told reporters in a briefing. "The regime to date since May has lost over $2.5 billion in oil revenue."

"We have decided to issue temporary allotments to handful countries responsive to the specific circumstances and to ensure a well-supplied oil market," Pompeo said. "Each of those countries has already demonstrated significant reduction of the purchase of Iranian crude over the past six months."

The exemptions are designed to last up to 180 days.

US officials have said the countries given temporary exemptions from the sanctions will deposit Iran's revenue in escrow accounts and Tehran will be able to use the funds for humanitarian purposes.

Iran's exports peaked at 2.8 million barrels per day in April, including 300,000 barrels per day of condensate, a lighter form of oil that when underground tends to exist as gas. Overall exports have fallen to 1.8 million bpd since then, according to energy consultancy Wood Mackenzie, which expects volumes to drop further to 1 million bpd.

Crude oil prices rallied above $85 per barrel in October on fears of a steep decline in Iranian exports. Prices have fallen off since then on expectations that some buyers would receive exemptions and as supply from the world's largest producers has increased.

On Monday, international benchmark Brent crude was up by more than $1 to a session high of $73.92 a barrel. US crude futures were up about one per cent at $63.85 a barrel.

The sanctions cover 50 Iranian banks and subsidiaries, more than 200 people and vessels in its shipping sector, and targets Tehran's national airline, Iran Air, and more than 65 of its aircraft, a US Treasury statement said.

Iran's biggest crude oil buyers in recent years have been China, India, South Korea, Turkey, Italy, the United Arab Emirates and Japan.

Casting the US sanctions as "economic war," Tehran vowed to defy them while Iranian clerical rulers have dismissed concerns about the impact on the economy.

"It will be difficult for Iran to maximise exports when virtually all trade in oil is cleared in US dollars, putting international oil companies, many national oil companies, traders and banks off limits," said Homayoun Falakshahi, an analyst at Wood Mackenzie.

Reuters

More For You

single-use vapes-iStock

Analysis by Material Focus estimates that 8.2 million vapes are discarded or littered each week in the UK—equivalent to 13 every second. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Shops told to clear single-use vapes before ban starts on June 1

SHOPS across the UK have until 1 June 2025 to sell off remaining stocks of single-use vapes before a nationwide ban comes into force.

The legislation, confirmed last year, follows a government consultation that showed strong support for restricting their sale and supply.

Keep ReadingShow less
Trump’s Promise: TikTok Deal Before April 5 to Avoid Ban

This is not the first time that TikTok has been under scrutiny in the United States

Getty

Trump promises TikTok deal before April 5 to prevent ban

As the clock ticks towards the April 5 deadline, the future of TikTok in the United States remains uncertain, with President Donald Trump promising that a deal to resolve the app's ongoing issues will be struck before the deadline. The central issue at hand is whether TikTok's parent company, ByteDance, will be forced to divest the popular social media platform or face a ban in the U.S.

In a statement made aboard Air Force One late on Sunday, Trump confirmed that there was "tremendous interest" from potential buyers looking to acquire TikTok. He expressed his desire for the platform to "remain alive" and emphasized that multiple buyers were keen on striking a deal, suggesting that a solution would be reached before the deadline.

Keep ReadingShow less
Primark-London-Getty

During his 15-year tenure, Marchant expanded Primark’s store network to more than 450 locations across 17 countries in Europe and the United States. (Photo: Reuters)

Primark chief Paul Marchant steps down after misconduct probe

PAUL MARCHANT, the head of fashion retailer Primark, has resigned with immediate effect after admitting to an "error of judgment" in his behaviour towards a woman in a social setting.

Associated British Foods (AB Foods), Primark's parent company, announced his resignation on Monday.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

JAGUAR’S ambition to seduce younger, richer drivers was on full display in Paris with a presentation of its newest prototype, the Type 00, which promises all-electric luxury... at a steep price.

The low-slung, muscular-looking concept car presented to European reporters last Friday (21) prefigures a production model expected mid-2026 at a base cost of €150,000 (£123,472.8).

Keep ReadingShow less
Starmer-Trump-Getty

Trump has suggested the possibility of a 'great' trade deal that could help the UK mitigate the impact of tariffs he has pledged to introduce. (Photo: Getty Images)

Starmer, Trump talk trade deal progress in 'productive' discussion

KEIR STARMER and Donald Trump spoke on Sunday about ongoing UK-US trade negotiations, with Downing Street describing the talks as "productive."

Since leaving the European Union, the UK has been working to secure a trade agreement with the United States. Successive British governments have pursued a deal, but it has remained elusive.

Keep ReadingShow less