Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

US court rejects Pannun’s claim of serving complaint on Indian NSA Doval

The court dismissed Khalistani separatist Gurpatwant Singh Pannun’s claim that legal documents, including a summons, had been served on Doval.

US court rejects Pannun’s claim of serving complaint on Indian NSA Doval

India’s National Security Advisor (NSA) Ajit Doval. (Photo: Getty Images)

A US court has ruled that no complaint was delivered to India’s National Security Advisor (NSA) Ajit Doval during his visit to Washington in February.

The court dismissed Khalistani separatist Gurpatwant Singh Pannun’s claim that legal documents, including a summons, had been served on Doval.


“The Court has reviewed the above letter and attached exhibits... and finds that service was not completed. The Complaint was not delivered to a member of the hotel management or staff or any officers or agents providing security for Defendant, as required by the Court's Order,” US district judge Katherine Polk Failla said in the order.

Pannun, in court filings, claimed that during Doval’s visit to Washington on February 12-13, when he accompanied prime minister Narendra Modi for a meeting with US president Donald Trump, he had “hired two process servers and one investigator” to serve the complaint on the NSA.

An attempt was made on February 12 at Blair House, the President’s Guest House, where Modi and his delegation were staying.

Pannun said security was tight, with barricades and a checkpoint guarded by US Secret Service agents.

According to him, the individual attempting to serve the complaint informed an agent that he had a court order allowing the documents to be delivered to any Secret Service member providing security.

“He showed the Secret Service agent a copy of this Court's Order, but the agent refused to accept any documents and told the individual to leave the checkpoint,” Pannun stated in court papers.

Pannun also claimed that the individual feared arrest if he took further action.

A second attempt was made on February 13 when another individual tried to serve the documents at Blair House.

Pannun’s filings state that three Secret Service agents, including a sergeant, stopped him at the checkpoint and refused to accept the documents or allow him beyond the checkpoint.

The individual then said he would place the documents on the ground, but one of the agents warned that doing so would lead to his arrest.

Eventually, he left the documents at a nearby coffee shop and informed the Secret Service agents, asking them to collect and deliver them to Doval.

Pannun argued in court that this constituted serving the complaint, but the court rejected his claim.

Pannun has filed a civil lawsuit against Doval and Nikhil Gupta. Gupta has been charged by US prosecutors in an indictment, accusing him of working with an Indian government employee in an alleged foiled plot to kill Pannun on American soil.

(With inputs from PTI)

More For You

modi-trump-getty

Donald Trump and Narendra Modi hold a joint press conference in the East Room at the White House on February 13, 2025 in Washington, DC. (Photo: Getty Images)

Getty Images

Explained: Impact of US tariffs on Indian exports

The United States has announced a 27 per cent reciprocal tariff on Indian goods entering the American market.

Industry experts have said these duties will pose challenges for Indian exports, though India's position remains more favourable than some of its competitors.

Keep ReadingShow less
Asian drug dealer known as 'starkcake' jailed for 18 years

Heemal Vaid (Photo: NCA)

Asian drug dealer known as 'starkcake' jailed for 18 years

A 49-year-old Asian drug dealer who masterminded the import and sale of cocaine and heroin worth more than £4 million has been jailed for 18 years, after National Crime Agency (NCA) investigators identified him from secret phone messages.

British Indian Heemal Vaid, of Cheam, used EncroChat – an encrypted phone service for criminals – to broker deals, unaware that in 2020, an international law enforcement team would crack EncroChat’s encryption.

Keep ReadingShow less
Metropolitan Police

The Met said it would not be making redundancies but would achieve savings by reducing recruitment and not replacing those who leave.

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Met Police to cut 1,700 jobs amid £260m budget shortfall

THE METROPOLITAN POLICE has announced plans to cut 1,700 officers, PCSOs, and staff due to a £260 million budget deficit.

The force will also scale back several services, including the removal of the Royal Parks Police team and officers stationed in schools.

Keep ReadingShow less
Donald Trump

Trump announced a series of tariff increases targeting various nations, including key US allies such as the UK and the European Union.

Getty Images

Trump’s tariffs hit global markets, Starmer warns of 'economic impact'

The UK and other global economies reacted on Thursday to US president Donald Trump's newly imposed tariffs, with prime minister Keir Starmer warning of an “economic impact” from the 10 per cent levy on British exports.

Trump announced a series of tariff increases targeting various nations, including key US allies such as the UK and the European Union.

Keep ReadingShow less
India told to prepare for deadly rise in temperatures

The country can expect more heatwave days this year

India told to prepare for deadly rise in temperatures

INDIA can expect hotter-thanusual temperatures this summer with more heatwave days taking a toll on lives and livelihoods, the weather office warned.

The country is no stranger to scorching summers, but years of scientific research has found climate change is causing heatwaves to become longer, more frequent and more intense.

Keep ReadingShow less