Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

US: Driver of Tesla that fell off California cliff with his family inside taken to jail from hospital

Forty-one-year-old Dharmesh A Patel allegedly drove the car off the treacherous cliff and was arrested on counts of attempted murder and child abuse.

US: Driver of Tesla that fell off California cliff with his family inside taken to jail from hospital

The driver of the Tesla vehicle that fell from a height of around 250 metres over a treacherous cliff in California, US, earlier in January has been released from the hospital and taken to a local jail on grounds of suspicion of attempted murder and child abuse, Associated Press reported.

Dharmesh A Patel, 41, is now held without bail at the San Mateo County Jail over the incident, which left his wife and two young kids injured.


San Mateo district attorney's office told the AP that the man could be arraigned on Monday (30) if criminal charges are filed.

It was not clear whether the accused had a lawyer to comment on his behalf, PEOPLE reported.

Patel was arrested at the Stanford Hospital earlier this month, as per an arrest report by California Highway Patrol, PEOPLE added.

It was said that Patel, a resident of Pasadena and a radiologist by profession, was located after the cops were alerted of "a vehicle over the side of the cliff on SR-1" around 10.50 am local time on January 2.

The passengers inside the badly damaged vehicle included a woman, 41, and two children, aged seven and four, besides Patel. They were reportedly taken to hospital with serious injuries. The vehicle was found to have fallen somewhere between 250 and 300 feet off the Devil's Slide, as the northern California cliff is known as.

Authorities said that it was nothing less than a miracle that the passengers survived the deadly fall. The children escaped with moderate injuries.

The highway patrol had previously said that it did not believe that the vehicle's self-drive feature was the reason behind the accident.

“Based on the evidence collected, investigators developed probable cause to believe this incident was an intentional act,” it said in a statement.

Brian Pottenger, a battalion chief for Coastside Fire Protection District/Cal Fire, said later that the car seemed to have "flipped several times" before landing on its wheels on a beach, the PEOPLE report added.

Police personnel saw "movement in the front seat" when they arrived at the scene.

"We knew we had at least one person that was alive," he said. "We were actually very shocked."

Firefighters rappelled down the cliff to save the two children while a helicopter crew took the two adults to safety, NBC News reported.

Neighbours of Patel's family told Los Angeles Times that they considered them a happy and peaceful one with no issues whatsoever. Patel, an employee at Providence Holy Cross Medical Center, was often seen playing with the kids, according to neighbours.

"Really I can't believe it," neighbor Sarah Walker told the Times.

"No one can believe it. They felt like newlyweds. The way they interact and look at each other, it just felt like they should be together."

Patel was later arrested.

More For You

Voices of Faith - Day 2: A profound confluence of spirituality, music, and dialogue

Barnaby Rogerson in conversation with Anthony Sattin (L) on day 2 of Voices of Faith

Voices of Faith - Day 2: A profound confluence of spirituality, music, and dialogue

Mahesh Liloriya

The second day of Voices of Faith unfolded with an enchanting blend of music, philosophy, and intellectual exploration at the Barbican Centre, London. This inaugural festival, curated by Teamwork Arts—the force behind the Jaipur Literature Festival (JLF) and JLF London—has been made possible by the Kamini and Vindi Banga Family Trust, with the support of Tech Mahindra. Eastern Eye and Garavi Gujarat serve as the official media partners, amplifying the festival’s reach and resonance.

Session 1- Echoes of eternity: The timeless notes of Kabir

Keep ReadingShow less
starmer-immigration

Speaking at the Organised Immigration Crime Summit, Starmer said the government is working to restore order to the immigration system.

UK returns 24,000 illegal migrants since July, highest in eight years

THE UK government has returned over 24,000 individuals with no legal right to remain in the country since July, marking the highest rate of removals in eight years, prime minister Keir Starmer said on Monday.

Speaking at the Organised Immigration Crime Summit, Starmer said the government is working to restore order to the immigration system.

Keep ReadingShow less
'Aga Khan dedicated his life to service, peace, and pluralism'

Baroness Patricia Scotland speaks at an Iftar dinner held at the Ismaili Centre in London (Photo: The Ismaili National Council for the United Kingdom)

'Aga Khan dedicated his life to service, peace, and pluralism'

THE outgoing head of the Commonwealth has paid tribute to the late Prince Karim Aga Khan, describing him as a visionary leader whose lifelong dedication to service, peace, and pluralism has left a lasting impact on the world.

Speaking at an Iftar dinner held at the Ismaili Centre in London last Wednesday (26), Baroness Patricia Scotland, who steps down as Commonwealth secretary general on 1 April, reflected on her personal connection with the Aga Khan, recalling their meetings during Commonwealth Day celebrations at Westminster Abbey.

Keep ReadingShow less
Starmer-Trump-Getty

Trump has suggested the possibility of a 'great' trade deal that could help the UK mitigate the impact of tariffs he has pledged to introduce. (Photo: Getty Images)

Starmer, Trump talk trade deal progress in 'productive' discussion

KEIR STARMER and Donald Trump spoke on Sunday about ongoing UK-US trade negotiations, with Downing Street describing the talks as "productive."

Since leaving the European Union, the UK has been working to secure a trade agreement with the United States. Successive British governments have pursued a deal, but it has remained elusive.

Keep ReadingShow less
Myanmar-quake-rescue-Reuters

Rescuers carry the body of a victim during search and rescue operations, following a strong earthquake, in Bangkok, Thailand, March 30. (Photo: Reuters)

Myanmar earthquake death toll rises to 1,700, UK pledges £10m in aid

RESCUE efforts continued in Myanmar as residents searched for survivors in collapsed buildings in Mandalay, two days after a 7.7-magnitude earthquake struck the country. The disaster has killed at least 1,700 people in Myanmar and 17 in neighbouring Thailand.

The quake hit near Mandalay on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a 6.7-magnitude aftershock. The tremors caused widespread destruction, damaging buildings, bridges, and roads in the city of more than 1.7 million people.

Keep ReadingShow less