Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

India's Vinesh retires after Paris Olympics disqualification

“Mother wrestling won against me, I lost. Your dreams and my courage are shattered,” Vinesh Phogat wrote on social media platform X.

India's Vinesh retires after Paris Olympics disqualification

INDIA's Vinesh Phogat announced her retirement from wrestling on Thursday after being disqualified from the women's 50kg competition at the Paris Olympics for being overweight.

Phogat, 29, was in the spotlight last year due to her protest against the then-chief of Indian wrestling, who was involved in a sexual harassment scandal. She had been scheduled to compete against Sarah Hildebrandt of the United States for the gold medal on Wednesday but was 100 grams over the 50kg limit.


"Mother wrestling won against me, I lost. Your dreams and my courage are shattered," Phogat wrote on social media platform X. "I don't have any more strength now. Goodbye wrestling 2001-2024. I will forever be indebted to you all. Sorry."

Sarah Hildebrandt took gold in the final against Cuba's Yusneylis Guzman Lopez, who was reprieved after losing her semi-final to Phogat.

Indian media reported Phogat has appealed to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) against her disqualification and demanded a joint silver to be awarded. CAS is expected to announce its verdict on the case later Thursday in Paris.

Indian Olympic Association's protest

Indian prime minister Narendra Modi described Vinesh Phogat as a “champion among champions” and expressed confidence that she would come back stronger. He urged the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) to protest Phogat's disqualification with the Paris Olympics organisers. Modi spoke with IOA chairperson PT Usha to explore options to help Phogat's case.

However, United World Wrestling (UWW) informed Usha that rules cannot be changed retrospectively. UWW president Nenad Lalovic stated that the current weigh-in rule could not be changed in retrospect, though he sympathized with Phogat for her turmoil. UWW will discuss the suggestion at an appropriate platform, but it could not be done retrospectively.

'A winner for us'

Videos of Phogat with chopped hair and sunken eyes, working out to cut her weight down for the final, went viral on Wednesday. Phogat had helped lead a protest in New Delhi last year against then-Wrestling Federation of India chief Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh, who is being tried on charges of groping female athletes and demanding sexual favors, which he denies.

"You will always remain a winner for us," said Bajrang Punia, a fellow leader of last year's protests and a Tokyo Olympics bronze medallist, on social media. "Apart from being India's daughter, you are the pride of India."

Sakshee Malikkh, another protest leader and Olympic bronze-medallist, said, "Every daughter has lost for whom you fought and won."

Phogat, who passed the weigh-in on day one, had defeated four-time world and defending Olympic champion Yui Susaki of Japan in the opener with a late takedown to claim a 3-2 decision en route to the final.

But she was overweight on the morning of the final, despite efforts by her and her team to cut weight through exercising and sauna.

(With inputs from agencies)

More For You

Gautam Gambhir

Gambhir, 44, took over from Rahul Dravid after last year’s T20 World Cup win and has since lost 10 out of 19 Tests.

Getty Images

Gambhir says BCCI will decide his future after India lose Test series 2-0

GAUTAM GAMBHIR said the Indian cricket board would decide his future as head coach after India lost the Test series 2-0 to South Africa on Wednesday.

India were beaten by 408 runs in the second Test, their biggest defeat by runs, and suffered a fifth loss in seven home matches. The team had earlier been whitewashed 3-0 by New Zealand a year ago, and the latest result in Guwahati renewed questions about Gambhir’s approach.

Keep ReadingShow less