Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Virus-hit Hajj cuts deep for Pakistan pilgrims and businesses

Quran tutor Muhammad Asim should have been packing to leave his Karachi home for Mecca next week to perform one of the most sacred, once-in-a-lifetime obligations for Muslims, the Hajj pilgrimage. But that was before the coronavirus hit.

Asim, 30, is one of 2.5 million Muslims globally, almost 180,000 from Pakistan, whose plans were upended when Saudi Arabia restricted this year's event to only 1,000 local residents, savaging Pakistan's 160 billion rupee ($1 billion) Hajj industry.


Indonesia and Pakistan, the largest Muslim-majority countries by population, send the most pilgrims.

"I prayed for the chance to go on Hajj and Allah answered my prayers,” Asim, selected from tens of thousands of applicants for a government-supported package, told Reuters. "But then he sent this coronavirus."

Asim borrowed money to come up with the nearly $3,000 cost.

More than 900 Pakistan tour operators and travel agencies are licensed to arrange travel over the Hajj. This year will be the first in modern times that pilgrims from abroad will not be allowed into Mecca.

“The biggest effect right now is on our business,” Zaeen Siddiqui, senior vice-chairman of the Hajj Organisers' Association of Pakistan, told Reuters.

“Our money is stuck in airlines. Our offices are closing because we cannot keep workers."

According to Pakistan's Ministry of Religious Affairs and Interfaith Harmony, which oversees Hajj arrangements, 179,210 Pakistanis had already registered to attend this year - 71,684 through private tour operators and 107,526 through cheaper, government-supported packages.

TENTS AND TOP-END HOTELS

Pilgrims buying private packages spend $4,000 to $6,000 on the journey, Siddiqui said. Those using government packages deposit around $3,000 into state accounts, money which authorities began returning last month.

Around 60 per cent of the cost of Haj is spent on accommodation, food and transportation in Saudi Arabia, 20 per cent on airlines and 20 per cent on arrangements inside Pakistan, Siddiqui said.

But local operators are able to charge premiums thanks to the high demand - premiums that keep their businesses going for the rest of the year.

Low-end tours involve basic accommodation in tents, while high-end packages come complete with personal guidance and sermons from scholars and televangelists to small groups of pilgrims who stay at luxury hotels in Mecca.

Before the Hajj setback, Pakistan's tour operators were already reeling from the suspension of year-round pilgrimages to Mecca and Medina from abroad known as the umrah, also because of the coronavirus.

Pakistan International Airlines has lost 12 billion rupees ($72.37 million) in revenue because of the cancellation of the Hajj after losing nearly as much because of the umrah ban, a company official told Reuters.

Faraz Masood, 34, was planning to fly to Mecca from Karachi with his wife. They put down a 20 per cent deposit on the $12,000 package.

“When this coronavirus was just getting started, we were in touch with the company, and they kept saying 'dont worry, things will be back to normal in time for Hajj',” he told Reuters.

Masood is still trying to get his money back.

More For You

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions
Anura Kumara Dissanayake

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions

THE Sri Lanka government on Wednesday (2) formed a committee to recommend measures regarding the UK's decision to impose sanctions on three former military commanders who led the campaign that crushed the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) in 2009.

Health minister Nalinda Jayatissa told reporters that foreign minister Vijitha Herath, justice minister Harshana Nanayakkara and deputy minister of defence Aruna Jayasekara would comprise the committee that would consult experts for the purpose.

Keep ReadingShow less
Gujarat-blast-ANI

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed. (Photo: ANI)

ANI

Death toll rises to 21 in Gujarat firework factory explosion

AN EXPLOSION at an illegal firecracker factory in Gujarat's Deesa town killed 21 people and injured several others on Tuesday, officials said.

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed.

Keep ReadingShow less
Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

Child benefit, normally paid every four weeks directly into bank accounts, has undergone significant changes in recent months (Photo: Getty Images)

Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

MILLIONS of British families are set to receive a financial boost as child benefit payments increase from April 7, according to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

From next week, parents will receive £26.05 per week for the eldest or only child, amounting to £1,354.60 annually - up from the current rate of £25.60. For each additional child, payments will rise to £17.25 weekly, totalling £897 per year - an increase from the present £16.95 rate. This represents a 1.7 per cent increase across all payment categories.

Keep ReadingShow less
Anant Ambani Walks 140 Km in Spiritual Tribute on 30th Birthday

Anant’s padyatra is a reflection of the larger cultural fabric of India

Getty

Anant Ambani embarks on a 140-kilometer spiritual journey on foot to celebrate 30th birthday

Anant Ambani, a director of Reliance Industries Limited and a prominent figure in Indian industry, has chosen a unique and spiritual way to mark his 30th birthday. As part of his celebrations, he is currently undertaking a padyatra—a traditional pilgrimage on foot—from Jamnagar to Dwarka, covering a distance of approximately 140 kilometres. The journey reflects his devotion to Lord Dwarkadhish, the presiding deity of the Dwarkadhish Temple in the city of Dwarka.

Anant began his journey from his family’s residence in Moti Khavdi, Jamnagar, and has been progressing steadily for the past five days. Walking an estimated 10-12 kilometres each night, he travels under the protection of Z+ security and local police, ensuring his safety during this significant journey. The padyatra is expected to take between seven to nine days in total, with plans to conclude at the Dwarkadhish Temple in time for his birthday on April 10.

Keep ReadingShow less
New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

Government urged experts to come forward to help draw up a new five-year TB action plan. (Photo: Getty Images)

New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

BRITAIN on Wednesday (2) urged health experts and sufferers of tuberculosis (TB) to come forward to help draw up a new five-year action plan as it deals with record rises in the disease.

In 2023, England recorded its largest annual increase (11 per cent) in cases since enhanced surveillance began in 2000.

Keep ReadingShow less