Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Volunteers and charities come together to support Grenfell Tower survivors

By NADEEM BADSHAH

VOLUNTEERS helping survivors of the Grenfell Tower fire have criticised the     government’s slow response to helping families affected by the tragedy.


Eastern Eye visited the site of the blaze in west London where hundreds of people are helping to carry and deliver urgent supplies to residents whose homes were destroyed.

Locals and charity workers said they were left to organise the aid effort among themselves without any help from a government agency.

The work of charities such as Muslim Aid, Islamic Relief, the Sikh Welfare & Awareness Team and Khalsa Aid has been praised with the organisations giving out items including toothpaste, sweets, bottled water, underwear and board games to survivors.

Next to the charred remains of the block of flats in Kensington, supplies were handed out and loaded into vans to travel to hospitals treating the injured.

Volunteers were dripping with sweat as they organised the relief effort outside the Westway Sports Centre following last Wednesday’s (14) inferno where at least 79 people died.

Among those helping was Sabu Hussain, a student, who told Eastern Eye: “I saw it happen, women and children screaming and crying.

“Everyone has been volunteering 100 per cent, the government didn’t tell no-one to come.

“People are coming from all over the country. It’s so sad what happened but this is London, this is our city, this is what happens when everyone comes together.

“You can see the passion, the love. We can give our support and help, the community is one, we’re not divided.

“Who cares if you’re black, white, Muslim, Jewish, Christian. We’re all in it together.”

Prime minister Theresa May has pledged a £5m support fund, more staff across the area to help bereaved families and promised that those affected will be rehoused by early July. Each household that has lost their home will receive at least £500 in cash and £5,000 paid into their bank account.

Tahir Ahmad, from the Humanity First charity, said the authorities have lessons to learn from their handling of the emergency.

He said: “In terms of volunteering and manpower support, I haven’t seen anything like it, it’s been wonderful.

“But in terms of coordination from the authorities, it’s been one of the worst. It has been the volunteers being self-sufficient, they have done a great job.

“In terms of organisation, it’s not been great from the authorities.”

He added: “We have been really impressed by the resilience of Londoners.

“That’s been a major bonus of this response, historically every charity has been silo [isolated], sticking to their donors and board members about what they have done.

“There has been a conscious effort by a number of non-government organisations to collaborate effectively.

“The community support has been fantastic, every single person has been well meaning in their desire to get involved and help in any way possible.”

Local mosques, gurdwaras and churches have become evacuation centres and have been collecting cash and supplies for those affected.

Meanwhile, family members of those who remain missing are desperately searching for information.

Missing posters are plastered over walls and lamp posts including British Bangladeshis Kamru Miah, Razia Begum, Abdul Hanif, Hosna Begum and Radhima Begum Ali.

The grief turned to anger last Friday (16) with protests held over the safety of the building and the use of banned cladding to insulate the tower. Businessman Mustafa al-Mansur, 39, launched the Facebook campaign for the demo against Kensington Council.

Chancellor Philip Hammond said a criminal investigation would examine whether building regulations had been broken when the block was renovated last year and it would wait for the public inquiry's findings before making any changes in the law.

Volunteer May Naroee, whose niece lost friends in the disaster, wants answers from the ruling Conservatives.

She said: “We feel like ants in a farm, doing the best we can.

“Why did this happen and how come the response to get the people to safety didn’t happen fast enough.

“In 2012 people said the building was old, no-one listened.

“Where is our government to take charge and take leadership?

“The victims have not come to terms with it, they are in the grieving process and are mourning.”

Satta Padham works for the Sikh Welfare and Awareness Team.

She said: "A lot of people slept on floors and people brought supplies - food, clothing and essentials that they could grab on the way.

“What I remember was the smell of burning - it gets you straight in the back of the throat.

"But there has been a great solidarity between people in the community."

Survivors in floods of tears were comforted by locals by a wall plastered with tributes and messages of support alongside lit candles, flowers and teddy bears.

Manjit Kaur, who travelled from Kent to pay her respects to the victims, said: “I have a got a family myself.

“It’s just touched everyone’s hearts, you can imagine how other people feel who lost family members.

“Being in that situation where you can’t get out.

“We have all become one when you come here and see grieving people. It’s brought people together to support one another.”

London mayor Sadiq Khan attended a service last Sunday (18) at  St Clements church in the capital to remember the victims.

Speaking as he left the church with his wife Saadiya, he said: "I've heard stories of heroism, from Christians, from Muslims and from others, looking after their brothers and sisters, their neighbours and doing the job that we expect from this brilliant community because of the fantastic community that is here in this

part of London."

He said people were "angry not simply at the poor response in the days afterwards from the council and the Government, but the years of neglect from the council and successive governments".

Secretary of state for communities and local government Sajid Javid said his department would do “everything we possibly can” to reassure those living in similar blocks to Grenfell.

He said he was “particularly concerned” to ensure that everyone that needs to be rehoused is given quality temporary accommodation, that their new houses are local and that everyone affected is “looked after”.

More For You

Police Recover £1M Stolen Jewellery in Hounslow, Owners Sought

The jewellery was largely taken from London’s South Asian community in Hounslow between 2023 and 2024. (Photo: Met Police)

Stolen jewellery worth £1m recovered in Hounslow, police seek owners

POLICE are seeking to reunite stolen jewellery worth over £1 million with its rightful owners after recovering the items during a proactive operation across London and the home counties.

The recovered collection includes identifiable pieces such as a World War One officer’s Rolex watch, a gold locket containing old pictures, an engraved gold ring, and an engraved gold pocket watch from Harlow Bros Ltd.

Keep ReadingShow less
british-muslims

The initiative aims to track incidents, raise awareness of hate crime, and provide better victim support.

iStock)

Government announces fund to combat anti-Muslim hate

THE UK government has announced a new fund to monitor anti-Muslim hate and support victims, with applications opening on 7 April.

The initiative aims to track incidents, raise awareness of hate crime, and provide better victim support.

Keep ReadingShow less
Probe launched over racist broadcast at Kent asylum centre

FILE PHOTO: Entrance of Manston short-term holding centre for migrants, near Ramsgate in southeast England. (Photo by BEN STANSALL/AFP via Getty Images)

Probe launched over racist broadcast at Kent asylum centre

AUTHORITIES have launched an investigation following reports that a racist message was broadcast over portable radios at an asylum processing centre in Kent.

The incident occurred at the Manston site, where small boat arrivals are processed by the Home Office and its contractor, Mitie, reported The Guardian.

Keep ReadingShow less
Protest against dog crackdown ahead of Modi's Sri Lanka visit

Sri Lankan animal rights activists take part in a demonstration in Colombo on April 3, 2025, to protest the round-up of stray dogs a day ahead of a visit by Narendra Modi. (Photo by ISHARA S. KODIKARA/AFP via Getty Images)

Protest against dog crackdown ahead of Modi's Sri Lanka visit

SRI LANKAN animal rights activists marched on Thursday (3) to protest the round-up of stray dogs a day ahead of a visit by Indian prime minister Narendra Modi.

Authorities in Colombo and the Buddhist pilgrim city of Anuradhapura have reportedly deployed dog catchers to impound hounds ahead of Modi's visit, which begins on Friday (4).

Keep ReadingShow less
modi-trump-getty

Donald Trump and Narendra Modi hold a joint press conference in the East Room at the White House on February 13, 2025 in Washington, DC. (Photo: Getty Images)

Getty Images

Explained: Impact of US tariffs on Indian exports

The United States has announced a 27 per cent reciprocal tariff on Indian goods entering the American market.

Industry experts have said these duties will pose challenges for Indian exports, though India's position remains more favourable than some of its competitors.

Keep ReadingShow less