Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Submit Guest Post

Western brands demand huge discounts from Bangladesh factories

WESTERN clothing brands that agreed not to cancel orders due to the COVID-19 epidemic are demanding price cuts of up to 50 per cent, Bangladeshi manufacturers said on Friday (17).

Millions of Bangladeshi households depend on the garment sector, which has been hit hard by the epidemic. Exports fell by 84 per cent in the first half of April as $3 billion-worth of orders were cancelled or suspended, according to factory owners.


"We are still observing their departure from original contract terms... which includes renegotiating prices as low as 50% of the original deal," said Rubana Huq, president of the Bangladesh Garment Manufacturers and Exporters Association.

Bangladesh, which ranks behind only China as a supplier of clothes to Western countries, relies on the garment industry for more than 80 per cent of its exports, with some 4,000 factories employing about four million people, mostly women.

Huq said many had yet to say when they would pay or take delivery, accusing them of "following a strategy to buy time".

"We are not aware of any other brand except one that has declared its plan in detail regarding delivery and payments centrally in black and white," said Huq, citing Swedish fashion giant H&M, the biggest buyer of garments from Bangladesh.

"(The) rest have all been conditional, mostly based on deferred payments, discounts and deferred deliveries."

Kalpona Akter, a labour activist, warned that workers would bear the brunt of reduced or renegotiated orders.

"We will be able to see the impact by next month, when workers will have to be paid their Eid bonuses and salaries," she said.

With Western economies struggling due to the crisis and retailers in many countries closed, brands have begun cancelling orders, though some have pledged to take delivery of garments already made or in production.

A government official said cancelling or renegotiating orders was unjust and authorities were addressing the issue through diplomatic negotiations.

"Our factory owners have spent a lot of money to be compliant and safe. It's an injustice to still not get good prices," Md Jafaruddin, secretary of the Ministry of Commerce, said.

The government announced a $588 million package to help the crucial export sector pay its workers last month.

Labour leaders say that this is not enough and that buyers need to come forward to support workers.

Hundreds of workers took to the streets this week, defying a government lockdown to protest the non-payment of wages, according to police.

Add EasternEye As Your Trusted Source
preferred source on google news

More For You

Jason Arday

Supporters leave flowers after taking part in a vigil for late Cambridge professor Jason Arday in Trafalgar Square in central London on August 17, 2026, following his death at age 41 on August 14.

Getty Images

Anger grows over ‘public cruelty’ faced by academic Jason Arday

ANGER over the treatment of black academic Jason Arday grew on Monday as thousands gathered in central London for a vigil, with his family saying the “public cruelty” he faced was “too much for any man to bear”.

The vigil in Trafalgar Square came as Cambridge university chancellor Chris Smith condemned what he called a “racist feeding frenzy” over plagiarism claims against Arday, while a petition calling for an immediate public inquiry into the media coverage had gathered more than 90,000 signatures.

Keep ReadingShow less