Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Women-led SMEs to ‘benefit from India-UK trade deal’

India and the UK have been negotiating an FTA since January last year to significantly enhance the bilateral trading relationship

Women-led SMEs to ‘benefit from India-UK trade deal’

WOMEN-OWNED and women-led small and medium enterprises (SMEs) are set to benefit from a proposed India-UK free trade agreement (FTA) as part of a “Trade and Gender Equality” chapter which has been provisionally closed at the end of 10 rounds of negotiations, business and trade secretary Kemi Badenoch said.

In response to the House of Commons Business and Trade Committee, which scrutinises her department’s work, the cabinet minister also revealed last week that short-term ease of business mobility and mutual recognition of professional qualifications were part of the FTA discussions.


India and the UK have been negotiating an FTA since January last year to significantly enhance the bilateral trading relationship, worth an estimated £36 billion in 2022, with an 11th round of negotiations scheduled for this month.

“We have also provisionally closed a Trade and Gender Equality chapter in which we have agreed to undertake cooperation activity,” said Badenoch, after a Commons report earlier this year raised queries around details of the ongoing negotiations. “This activity may enhance the competitiveness of women-owned and women-led SMEs, to better enable them to participate in international trade. I hope that this will encourage businesses of every size and from every region of India and the UK to take advantage of this deal,” she added.

Badenoch revealed that both sides have provisionally agreed on a chapter which aims to ensure that SMEs can understand and navigate the other country’s systems and help them to take advantage of the FTA.

On visas and immigration, she said any FTA with India will not contain commitments on immigration or provide access to the UK domestic labour market.

“There will also be no agreement to anything which undermines the principles or functioning of the UK’s points-based immigration system, or which undermines the UK’s ability to control its own border.

“In negotiations we are discussing business mobility, which would make it easier for highly skilled professionals to deliver services in each other’s markets on a short-term and temporary basis,” the trade and business secretary said.

LEAD Badenoch Kemi GettyImages 1258896196 1 Says Kemi Badenoch

On some of the key UK export sectors, such as automotive and Scotch, Badenoch said the UK’s objective is to develop rules of origin which support preferential tariff access. “UK exporters currently face an average tariff of around 16 per cent when sending their products to India. Our stakeholders are clear a trade deal with strong market access provisions must be underpinned by rules of origin which support potential benefits for UK businesses,” she said. Meanwhile, in response to an opposition question raised in the Commons last Thursday (29) about the timeframe for the conclusion of the FTA, Badenoch reiterated the Rishi Sunakled government’s approach of not setting a deadline.

“Had ministers completed the free trade agreement with India by Diwali last year, as was promised, the 150 per cent tariff that producers of Scotch face when exporting to India could have been eliminated. Given the 10th round of talks has recently ended, with an 11th planned soon, can the secretary of state tell us if the free trade agreement will be completed by Diwali this year,” questioned Labour’s shadow business and trade secretary Nick Thomas-Symonds.

Badenoch replied, “I have said repeatedly it is about the deal and not the day. Every single trade agreement we negotiate is bespoke to the specific country and tailored to its economy, to ensure it benefits both the UK and the counterpart country.

“I am happy to say the Scotch Whisky Association is very pleased with what it has been hearing about negotiations from its Indian counterparts, and we are working hard to make sure the industry is successful ,” she added.

More For You

nintendo switch 2

The new console aims to build upon the success of its predecessor while introducing fresh innovations

Getty

Nintendo unveils Switch 2 - A new era for hybrid gaming begins

After months of speculation and cryptic teaser campaigns, Nintendo has officially announced the highly anticipated successor to its bestselling hybrid console. The Nintendo Switch 2 is set to launch on 5 June, with a price tag of £395.99 for the base package and £429.99 for a bundle including Mario Kart World. With a range of hardware improvements, redesigned controllers, and an exciting lineup of games, the new console aims to build upon the success of its predecessor while introducing fresh innovations.

A Bigger, Sharper Display and 4K Support

One of the most noticeable upgrades in the Nintendo Switch 2 is its display. The console now features a larger 7.9-inch screen, boasting twice the pixel count of the original Switch and supporting full 1080p resolution. Additionally, the display is capable of up to 120 frames per second, ensuring smoother animations, while high dynamic range (HDR) enhances colour contrast for a richer visual experience. Despite these improvements, the Switch 2 maintains the same thickness as the original model, preserving its signature portable form factor.

Keep ReadingShow less
‘All options on the table’ as Britain
prepares for likelihood of US tariffs

Sir Keir Starmer with Jonathan Reynolds

‘All options on the table’ as Britain prepares for likelihood of US tariffs

BRITAIN is likely to be hit by US tariffs despite making “rapid progress” over a trade deal with Washington, prime minister Sir Keir Starmer said on Tuesday (1).

He spoke as US trading partners around the world braced for an expected fresh raft of tariffs from president Donald Trump, in addition to levies already imposed on steel and those set to take effect this week on cars.

Keep ReadingShow less
single-use vapes-iStock

Analysis by Material Focus estimates that 8.2 million vapes are discarded or littered each week in the UK—equivalent to 13 every second. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Shops told to clear single-use vapes before ban starts on June 1

SHOPS across the UK have until 1 June 2025 to sell off remaining stocks of single-use vapes before a nationwide ban comes into force.

The legislation, confirmed last year, follows a government consultation that showed strong support for restricting their sale and supply.

Keep ReadingShow less
Primark-London-Getty

During his 15-year tenure, Marchant expanded Primark’s store network to more than 450 locations across 17 countries in Europe and the United States. (Photo: Reuters)

Primark chief Paul Marchant steps down after misconduct probe

PAUL MARCHANT, the head of fashion retailer Primark, has resigned with immediate effect after admitting to an "error of judgment" in his behaviour towards a woman in a social setting.

Associated British Foods (AB Foods), Primark's parent company, announced his resignation on Monday.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

JAGUAR’S ambition to seduce younger, richer drivers was on full display in Paris with a presentation of its newest prototype, the Type 00, which promises all-electric luxury... at a steep price.

The low-slung, muscular-looking concept car presented to European reporters last Friday (21) prefigures a production model expected mid-2026 at a base cost of €150,000 (£123,472.8).

Keep ReadingShow less